Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:05:39 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Introductions and electrical questions
Comments: To: Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>

I recently bought an 89 also. Everything I list below I learned from others on this list. I was very naive when I began (and still feel so at times.)

Here is my advice which I learned from many on this list. Keep a written maintenance log book &/or computer record on all your repairs and improvements and list what was done, when, parts numbers and cost.

Clean all your electrical connections and grounds.

Replace your tranny gear oil with Red Line Synthetic oil.

Put new oil in with one quart of it being Marvel Mystery oil and run it for 300 miles. Change your oil and filter and capture the old oil in a clean container. Switch to Mobil One synthetic oil or other synthetic like Red Line. Use Stan Wilder's diagnosis method and let the old oil settle overnight then drain all but the last 1/2 cup of dregs into another container. Mix that 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup of gasoline and pour through a white coffee filter to see if you have any "stuff" that came out. Cross your fingers.

Consider the Trasko oil filter set up: http://trasko-usa.com/ Some people poo poo it but I like the statistics.

The cooling fan should not come on unless you are stuck in traffic and the engine heats up or you have the AC on.

The electronic tune? I like the reminder that the keys are left in the ignition or to remind me to buckle up. Many list members do not and take it off. The previous owner probably took out the "seat belt warning module." You'll need to find one, or live without it. Don't buy it at a dealer for $80 but ask the list again. Someone gave me one for free on the list and all I did was pay postage. Its location is above the fuse panel and difficult to see unless you take the panel off.

Check the archives regarding tires. You need sidewalls reinforced with at lest 2 ply. My previous owner put the wrong tires on mine. Bummer in a heavy cross wind.

Get your alignment checked ($60?)

Check everywhere for coolant leaks. A common leak area is the lower right coolant flange. Easy to fix ($40 extra at the VW dealer I used when I hired out the front springs replaced.)

Check your upper and lower ball joints. While doing the front springs I replaced the upper ball joints. Both had ruptured boots. This is a common failure.

Get into the habit of checking your engine and putting it up on ramps and looking underneath for loose nuts and bolts. I found the upper starter nut missing off the hex bolt.

Check your clutch cylinder bolts to be sure they are on and tight. Mine were loose and it popped off. Had to have it towed.

Check your engine and tranny ground strap. Engine strap is under the AC compressor and goes to the body. Tranny strap is underneath.

A new distributor cap and rotor will do wonders.

A MUST is the capacitor fix to fix the intermittent vanagon syndrome. Easy to do. For instructions go to: http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/intermitt._syndrome.htm.

Consider new 3 prong or quad plugs.

Consider a K & N air filter. Costs the same but is reusable and works better.

Buy some "303 Aerospace Protectant" and apply every month to the dash, all vinyl, rubber trim and tires.

If you replace your windshield wipers buy Bosch "oversized" and put 19" on passenger side and 20" on driver side. Rear window size must remain the same.

Look at the luggage rack that Gary Lee sells http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/vanagonrack.htm

If you have no data about CV joint service recently this is a critical thing to do or have done. If you do it or have it hired out use Red Line CV grease. It is superior to the other brands.

If you are interested you can see my maintenance page at: http://members.cox.net/holisticdream/maintenancelog.htm

You can see my van photos at: http://members.cox.net/holisticdream/vaninterior.htm

I made some additional improvements that I highly recommend.

Got to a junk yard and find a door pocket for the passenger side. Position it WITH THE GLOVE BOX OPEN before you attach it.

Put shims on top of driver side rear spring to compensate for sag to the left due to camper equipment. Very easy to do.

Power radio antenna.

Passenger side dome light.

Above kitchen area "Thin Lites." Placed old light over engine area which is a blessing at night when going to see or service the engine. (http://www.windsun.com/Misc_AE/Thin-Lite.htm).

I also placed a battery operated "tent light" over rail above the sliding door ($10 at Target.)

Replace springs with springs sold by steve@syncro.org ($400 and worth every penny.) If you do, put a 1/2 inches of rubber shims on top of the driver side spring if you have a sag to the left there. Measurements from the top of the fender to the middle of the wheel cap should be about 17 & 1/4 inches on all wheels. If you are not a perfectionist and can live with the springs the way they are, many do just that.

Consider Air Lift air bags inside your rear springs if you carry heavy loads or if you have a trailer hitch to haul a raft or such. http://members.cox.net/holisticdream/airlift.htm

That's al I can think of for now. Others on this list are much more experienced than I am so keep tuning in. A few people have a warped sense of humor so be prepared.

William Vanagon site http://members.home.net/holisticdream/vanagon1989.htm 1989 Vanagon GL 1988 Mercedes 300 SE ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Speer" <jspeer@POBOX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 7:09 AM Subject: Introductions and electrical questions