Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:44:24 -0500
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: souping up the 1.9L or 2.1L
Comments: To: "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>

> Thanks to Sam Walters, I have the documents of the "Lilley upgrades" from > Robert Lilley. > I like what he does in his writings with his 2.1L > Here's some questions for you engineering types: > 1) I'd like to know if the 1.9L is a viable candidate for a high performance > motor. > 2) Does the digijet limit the power, or is the Digijet the desirable FI > system > 3) should I upgrade to 2.1L heads or get a 2.1L motor rebuilt w/ > counterweighted crank, perf cam, ratio rockers, > 4) how about stroking the 1.9L or the 2.1L motor.......offset crank grind > with oversized main rod journals? > 5) upping the compression on the 1.9L? > 6) who has done the ceramic coatings on pistons, sealing surfaces, exhaust > valves, combustion chamber...how do you > like it, does it help keep the motor compartment and components > cooler?......any problems? > 7) anyone using a #91 grind on their wasserboxer?.....better top end..... > 8) 1.25 ratio rockers?....better bottom end? > 9) ported heads anyone? > 10) 3 angle valve job? > 11) chromolly retainers?....I really like this idea.....along with the race > keepers > 12) chromolly pushrods? > > Since Robert didn't actually increase the displacement or the stroke, torque > should be the same...moment about the crank. > HP is estimated by Robert to be around 130....

I think Robert Lilly really did a nice job with this, but as been said before, by many, where is the data to back up any of these improvements? How does one estimate a 41% increase in horsepower without dyno testing? Especially since the motor basically remains a 2.1l...........

I just rebuilt my first 2.1L 2 weeks ago, and if you drove it before and after, You would think it had a 130 hp instead of 92. An old tired, neglected motor vws. a newly rebuilt motor is like night and day. And. I bet if properly maintained would maintain its characteristics for a long time.

Those ceramic coatings could not hurt, but their effect on HP in our 2.1L powerplants would be minimal at best. That stuff is for the high RPM race circuit.

that's nice.....especially > when mated to that new SA 5-speed 4.57 w/ overdrive > > I tried emailing Robert but his email address is no longer > working.......anyone know.....I have questions for the gurus > > That's it.....I'm staying with the wasserboxer format on my next motor, > which is going to happen soon > I just want to fix all of the faults of the motor, like Mr. Lilley > > Malibu Tony 85' Westy 1.9L 5 degrees BTDC........dying slowly but still > cruising at 70mph on the flats >