Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 2002 20:10:56 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      What my problem was

Hello- My engine would not run well for a week-and the brakes went out at the same time- and I'd like to share the story .

I didn't want to ask the list what could be causing my engine to barely run, shudder and stall several times before running but very poorly, low idle, low power .I did ask about the brakes-everyone who gave advice was right.

This might make me look less intelligent than I really am, as asking you might reveal that I don't know everything about Vanagons. I admit this finally.

Ignorance was my problem- I ignored a basic rule-always look in the gas can before you use it and make sure it is clean!

Four years ago I used a 5 gallon Jerry can that had paint flakes in it-which I only discovered after I used it. These were pieces of paint, some were one inch square. Soon the outlet was blocked.

I was on the East coast at the time , so I bought some fuel line and switched outlet for return line. It worked , and I drove with no problems almost 4 years.

The flakes finally made it over to the other side of the tank, clogging the tank outlet( which was the return outlet)

I put the fuel intake hose in a can of gas to isolate the tank, and turned the key. The engine runs normal.

Not a cold start problem. It wasn't the ECU, or AFM, or idle switch, etc after all.

I had stalled out several months ago and then the problem went away. I would be driving along then the engine would quit. That was 8 months ago.

I looked inside the 84 tank today and saw the screen . It doesn't look like the 82 has a screen, or it may be a different type?

Well at least you all were spared from having to help me figure this out.

Thanks to all who helped with advice about brakes- It was a failed master cylinder, just like you said. Running again with brakes-

Robert K

1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

Robert

1982 WestfaliaGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com