Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:59:12 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      NEW PRICE INFO on S.African grills from the Depot
Comments: cc: Denis Bélisle <westvolks@videotron.ca>,
          "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@mail.house.gov>

Since the "group buy" is over very soon, a few people have asked me if I can give them a very close estimate on what my upcoming reduced prices will be on the South African upper and lower grills, as this would help them make their decision on what to do. So, while I was going to wait until I had a definate "landed" cost, I did draw up what will almost certainly be the exact price (or if not, plus or minus a buck or two).

Lower grill: $85. This is 7% below than the group-buy price (including the group-buy's 3% paypal fee; in my case you'd use credit card instead). Upper grill with emblem and inner lights/brackets: $178. This is 10% over the group-buy price. If you buy both, your net cost will work out to 12% over the group price. The reason for this difference is that the group buy includes a small discount on buying both, whereas mine is just the total of the two prices.

At these prices, you'll be able to use a credit card directly. Also you won't have to pay anything up front; you won't pay until the parts actually ship.

But... Neither my price nor the group price includes the outer H4 lights, which you will need if you have an '86-91 Vanagon. The group-buy website recommends my aftermarket H4 headlight kit, which is $34.95 for the pair. There will be no additional shipping cost for these if you buy the grill from me, as they can ship in the same box (so there is a bit of savings there as well). If you have an '80-85 Vanagon you don't need these lights, as your existing sealed beam headlights will serve this purpose (although they would definately be a recommended definate upgrade nonetheless).

Also... In either case (no matter where you buy), if you have an '86-91, you will still need to buy or fabricate a pair of buckets/brackets for the outer lights. The easiest solution there is to hit a junkyard and buy a pair of used buckets from any '68-85 Bus or Vanagon, as they all use the same outer lights.

Again, I won't have these for about 8 weeks. But several people have asked about my prior offer to "split the difference" and sell them my current stock right now, for a price in between my current price and the upcoming price. My current prices are $180 and $250 for the lower and upper grills respectively. So, splitting the difference (a little toward your favor, actually), anyone who wants them now would pay $129 and $209. This is actually about what I paid for my current stock, and is probably around what I will charge non-listmembers for the new stock (as I will average the new and old costs). I can only sell a few sets at this price, as I need enough to hold me over until the next shipment. If you order them (either by phone or online), they'll come up at the normal price (as this is a listmember-only offer) but p-mail me as soon as possible after ordering and I'll make sure the price gets adjusted accordingly.

Hope this helps.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT