Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Mar 2002 08:02:44 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: front shock replacement questions
Comments: To: Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>

> My new Bilsteins arrived in the mail and I put the rear ones on last night > no problem. When I went to do the fronts I took that little boot of the nut > and tried to loosen it but it would twist the rod on the shock and I was > afraid to break it off and not be able to get it out so I left it alone. > Will this break if I turn it too hard? No, you're just turning the piston of the shock. It should have 2 or 6 flat sides up top that you can hold with a wrench. Take your time to get a very good fit if you're using a crescent wrench, as it's easy to smear those flats.

Or did I just not use enough torque? You may need to use some solvent as well, i.e. WD40 or similar. Depends on whether it's rusted or not. When you put it back together, cover the threads and nut with grease after you install the new shock, and the next person to do this job will thank you...

> > Also in the box for the front springs there were no new rubber or washer > pieces. The Bentley shows a washer, a rubber washer, and a spacer sleeve. > Can I reuse these or do I need to order new ones to install with the shocks?

Reuse the old ones.

tx, bmc :)