Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:01:11 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Reinforced tires AGAIN
Comments: To: developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>

Gotta love these opinions. The wheel material alone does not in any way effect the load carrying capacity of the tires. The Alloys are slightly wider than the stock steel wheels, (6" vs. 5.5) which will allow mounting a slightly wider tire. As for the term reinforced, it has little meaning these days. The important consideration is the load carrying and recommended inflation pressure of the tire. Typically, the 5.5" wheel will carry a 215mm wide tire, the 6" will carry a 225mm. A P215/70-14 is usually rated to carry 1515 pounds at either 35 or 44 phi. A typical P205/70-14 is only rated at 1430 pounds. This is right at the edge for safety. I have used the 215's for many years with excellent results. If you want to go even larger a 225/70-14 is rated at 1625 pounds.

Dennis