Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:49:34 -0500
From:         Craig Rogers <carogers@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] How much weight on a roof rack
Comments: To: 80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>

These racks in the link below look like a good company. I like the Garvin too. What I want to do is more of a custom thing made of aluminum with a floor and front a rear permanent storage box. The front one can be angled for wind deflection. I would really like to put some more batteries in the rear box along with tools, jack, spare parts, oil, etc (heavy). The front box would hold all the stuff I used to carry in my cabinet in the Westy. That would include shower stall/solar shower, curtains, linens, spare clothes, and toiletries. I would be able to additionally add a side tent and an awning (light).

I want to make it out of welded aluminum, so it will be strong, light and won't rattle. I won't put a spare tire up there, but gas, water, and coolers will want to end up there and they are heavy. I also want to be able to add a Thule system on top of it, so a canoe can be added on top of everything else.

Is this absurd thinking and if so, how does one carry all his crap on a trip deep into the forest?

Thanks for all your responses

Sincerely,

Craig Rogers

85 westy weekender 86 Syncro ----- Original Message ----- From: "80 Westy Pokey" <pokey@VANAGON.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 1:07 AM Subject: Re: [Syncro] How much weight on a roof rack