Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:01:53 -0500
From:         "John P. Flaherty" <jflahert@MAINE.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: EuroVans have more passenger room

I don't disagree with your measurements, but I have to disagree in terms of usable space. I've sat behind the wheel of Eurovans. My head was crushed up againt the roof, to the point I couldn't hold it up straight. My legs were forced off to the side at such an angle that it would be impossible for me to operate the pedals. In short, there is no way that I could operate this vehicle.

My loafs I drove without modification. My vanagon I could drive unmodified, but not comfortably. I bent the stops out of the way on the driver's seat so it goes back further, and relocated the door grab handle to a position immediately below the window. These mods make my vanagon the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Because of the lack of headroom, I don't think I could modify a Eurovan to be comfortable.

For what its worth, I don't fit well in most SUVs either. Big on the outside, poor use of space on the inside. In fact, to my knowlege, there is no car being made today that I fit in comfortably. They all seem to be getting smaller. I fit much better in my son's 86 Jetta than in my buddy's 2000. Not sure about modern minivans or pickups.

Oh well, guess I just have to keep that vanagon alive.

John Flaherty Portland, Maine '84 GL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Lashley" <ThingGuy@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 2:53 PM Subject: EuroVans have more passenger room