Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:45:42 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reinforced tires AGAIN

Agreed - it's the carrying capacity at the pressure you have the tire inflated to, not the max it can carry. Remember the Ford Explorer problem? 185R14 C at 48 psi are probably close to a 205R14 LR97 tire at 40 psi, although the 205 could carry more WHEN INFLATED TO MAX PRESSURE (prob 50 psi)

I have been running Kumho 852's for awhile now. If you are not looking for an off-road or snow tire, I think they are fine. It's in their Commercial line.

I bought the 195 size for my steel rims, but they make a 205R14, LR109, presumably at 50 psi. If you run them at 40 psi (at least that's what my Westy recommends for the rear) they are plenty stout enough.

Here is their web page for light truck tires -

http://www.kumhousa.com/pages/lt_comm.htm

Interestingly this article header is on their home page.

Kumho Europe wins OE tyre contract for new VW Polo.

Europe's largest car manufacturer, Volkswagen AG, has awarded Kumho Tire a contract to supply 200,000 tyres a year for the new Polo to be launched in the UK in February 2002.

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow ID mike_l_f@hotmail.com