Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Mar 2002 18:37:59 -0800
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Curtain hold-downs
Comments: To: Rodney Kindlund <rodney@RODKRAFTSTUDIO.COM>

I have made curtains for a previous vanagon, and used the rare earth magnets that Rodney references (Also called Neodymium magnets). Instead of using rod, I actually placed the magnets about every 6" around the perimeter of the curtains, and sewed them into pockets. I used the 1/2" diameter, 1/8" thickness magnets, and I used a total of 80 of them for a full set of curtains--back, 4 sides, and a large curtain that attached to the beams in the roof just behind the front seats, and wrapped around the A/C duct. I used a king size sheet set, and it was large enough to make all curtains two layers, which makes them very dark and they look nice as well. If you go the route where you use a rod, I'd try to get at least the 1/2" magnets, as I think the 1/4" might not be strong enough if you only have one at each end. Also, as Rodney mentioned, Lee Valley is the place to buy them. In quantity, the 1/2" are $.56 each, and I paid $.81 at All Magnetics in Anaheim. I had scoured the Internet before purchasing, and the nearest competitor was $1.60 per magnet at the time. $.56 is a good deal. Anyway, hope that helps. bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."