Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:55:23 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Fuel Injection Wire Harness Meltdown!

Rich, Very useful information but I should like to add two things. A relay is in fact a fuse, 15 -20 amps can take it out. Do you know where that relay is? Is it possible Finn did everything right but that somehow the hot wire came in contact with the coax ground going back to the ecu? Finn Please keep us posted as to your final solution. regards gary Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 05:56:35 EST From: Finn Runyon <Finrun@AOL.COM> Subject: Fuel Injection Wire Harness Meltdown!

It seems looking in depth at my Bently, that the harness on the fuel injection,AFC system is history. I am very much at a loss as to why this happened. To recap, I was replacing the oxygen sensor with a generic from the Bus Depot. I very carefully soldered and taped the O2 sensor to the existing harness. I did have difficulty removing the old sensor from the cat, but once out, the new one installed easily. The bus ran great without the sensor plugged in. It would not start with in connected. I unplugged the sensor and it fired right up, albeit running a bit rough this time. I reconnected it and tried starting it again, it started, and my son who was near by yelled, "Dad there is fire!" I shut the van off and quickly ran to the rear and blew the fire out! Seems that all the insulation on the O2 harness is melted off, the plug connector for the 2 white wires is melted together, as is the insulation of the wires for the left bank of injectors. It was getting dark as this was all happening so to be honest I have not cut back the sheath on the wire loom to see how far the meltdown goes?

Can any one come up with a logical explanation for what has happened? In addition to the harness would a short of this sort have taken out the control unit and other electronics? Could the O2 sensor been defective in some way to have caused this? I have had my head handed to me by my family as we are to leave for our yearly trip south to the pan handle of FL on Friday. Please, can anyone help??? Finn Runyon 87 Westy

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:24:31 EST From: Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM> Subject: Re: FI Wire Harness Meltdown/COME ON ! LET'S HELP THIS GUY

Finn,

My heart goes out to you for I have been in a similar situation more than once. This is a tough one. There are 3 conductors of the wiring harness connected to the OXS: green (shielded), white and brown. The green is the signal to the ECU and should be connected to the black lead of your generic OXS. The white is the power supply for the resistive heating element of the OXS and should be connected a white lead of the OXS. The brown is the ground for the heating element and should be connected to the other white lead of the OXS. I didn't realize it was possible, but it sounds like you took the white conductor of the harness to ground through the OXS.

1/ Disconnect all the conductors to the OXS and briefly see how it runs. 2/ Check your wiring to see if you crossed the conductors. 3/ Check that either white lead of the OXS is not shorted to the body of the OXS and that there is resistance between them. 4/ The white conductor from the harness is a real ballbuster because it comes from a node WITHIN the wiring harness to which, by my count, 8 conductors are terminated. Also, it is fed directly from the battery through a relay. In other words, it is unfused. Thank you VW! Short of replacing the wiring harness, you will have to at least strip the sheath back to assess the extent of the damage. Then, the relay and its wiring has to be checked. 5/ If, as I suspect, you swapped the leads to the OXS, you will have to determine if the ECU was hardy enough for its input to be taken to ground through the few Kohms of the OXS heater.

Rich