Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:20:18 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@COX.NET>
Subject:      Temp II sensor replacement: UPDATE & SOLUTION

My temp II progress report in case anyone else has similar problems.

Thanks to over 15 people who pmailed me (and one list posting) regarding the temp II replacement procedure.

I was ready to order parts and decided to check if the connection was good. Reaching down to the blue sensor on the driver side I wiggled it a bit and it seemed secure. Then I went to the grocery store.

All the symptoms disappeared. My starting problems have disappeared, the idle which was erratic at stop lights and occasionally going up and down from 1200 to 850 is normal and the engine pep has returned to normal. In fact the engine pep is phenomenal. I wonder if a poor connection or ground may have slowly deteriorated performance as I've noticed less engine pep for weeks until now.

I have been advised by a local friend on the list to not bother with temp II replacement unless symptoms reappear.

I'm going to crawl under the van today to inspect and clean all the wires and grounds.

Has anyone else discovered that the problem was a corroded or loose wire?

Now at least I know where the Temp II sensor is and how to fix it thanks to you all. I'm starting to feel more mechanically inclined on the vans and not as intimidated by it.

William Polowniak 1989 Vanagon GL 1988 Mercedes 300 SE