Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:28:54 -0500
From:         Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Type 2 hitch
Comments: To: jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM

Hey Jim,

I took my 81 to the local welding shop. They extended the bumper brackets about 3 inches, bolted a big square tube between them that had a 2" receiver welded in, then bolted the bumper back onto the brackets, less the black molding. (the bumper was too close to the square tube and the little clips to hold the molding wouldn't go in far enough. I haven't shimmed it because the bumper is black anyway and it looks fine to me). They cut a 2 inch hole in the back of the bumper for access to the receiver. The main thing I see when looking at the van is the plastic bumper end covers got moved back about 3 inches also, so the old hole where they bolted to the body still shows. If you can't visualize this, I could email some pictures in the next couple of days. Going to do the same thing with my TDI mechanical transplant in to my 1982 if I can get it running in the next month or 5 years!

Myron Lind 81 Westy

Boy, I seem to be asking a lot of questions today!

I was wondering about getting a hitch installed on my 82 vanagon so that I could pull a trailer or use one of those moto-tote type motorcycle carriers (bike weighs about 350 lbs). I would like one of those square type hitches (type 2??) and was wondering if anyone had any experience mounting one of these to their vanagon. I was just going to go down to the local tow hitch place, but thought I'd run it by the list first to see what the group wisdom says.

One thing I do know, extra weight doesn't seem to slow the diesel vanagon much, if any. I had a dozen 2x4s and half a dozen sheets of 3/8 plywood in mine on saturday and was just as fast (slow!) as normal. It actually seemed to handle better with the extra weight.

This is such an awesome vehicle. I just wish it was 1982 again and I could enjoy it for the 20 years I've missed.

Thanks.