Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:18:00 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: GL5 vs GL4 Gear Oils
Comments: To: AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@JUNO.COM>

AA Transaxle wrote:

> I recommend every 30K mi. even for Redline. The long chain molecules in > all > the varieties of oils do wear out (as I have been told) and fresh oil is > cheap insurance.

Daryl, I agree with you. I never have understood why people don't want to chainge the oil in the transmissions and in more conventional vehicles, even the rear differential.

Years ago I worked in an oil analysis laboratory at Ft Ruccker, AL. The home of the Army's helicopter command. We had a test program where the guys would go out and hover those machines in a sand pit for hours and hours. Every time they stopped we got a shipment of oil samples form all the various transmissions and sumps on the engines. it was amazing to see the changes in the oil. And YUP!, the long chain molecules are chopped to pieces, and lose their protection qualities. We got pretty good at predicting rotor blade transmission failures. Did a lot of spectragraphic analysis on the lubes and plotted the elements on charts maintained on each aircraft. You could always tell a spike, and a rapid rise in indicator metals always predicted a failure shortly.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver