Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:41:51 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cooler oil using a 2nd device or not?
Comments: To: Daniel Danrich <danrich@CCMAUI.NET>

I'm at a loss as to why you would only have the oil light at higher altitudes. Maybe the extended load of climbing to those altitudes? What viscosity oil are you using? This will make a large difference. I use an external oil cooler on the Fun Bus. However, oil cooling systems done right cost money. I use a 16 plate Racimex oil cooler in front of the radiator. High pressure Push-Lock hose and 5/8 copper tubes carry the oil on this trip. A Perm-Cool brand t-stat allows the oil to reach ~ 180 before sending to the cooler. A standard sandwich adapter replaces the original water-oil heat exchanger. Oil temp will normally run between 180 and 210. Extended high speeds in hot weather with the AC on will bring it up to 230. Before the cooler, 260 was common. Also noted the slightly overfilling the crankcase will raise temp drastically. Oil pressure with this set up is still ~15 at idle and 45-50 at 4000 rpm, oil at 210. Engine now has 187K on it. All original.

Dennis