Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:05:28 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1L Dynam oil press sys check
Comments: To: John Patton <jfp7@hotmail.com>
Comments: cc: abailey@mac.com, hanran@earthlink.net, TStone8359@aol.com,
          vgonman@msn.com, wietorg@yahoo.com

Hi John --

At 11:09 PM 3/12/2002, John Patton wrote: >The attachments depict a simple voltmeter procedure to check the 86-91 >Vanagon Dynamic oil pressure warning system. The Bentley shows this system >on pgs 90.22 to 90.29 but the trouble shooting can be very vague & >confusing. The Word document attachments to this email present what I >think is a softer & "friendlier" method of checking this important system. >It's important to know that I have previously submitted this information >to the Vanagon home page and to Limbo. In both cases I was told that the >information was either "too complicated" for the usual Vanagon owner to >carry out, or that Vanagon owners are not concerned about the correct >function of this system. I finally gave up. I would appreciate your >feedback regarding the tests.

That's bizarre. Anyone who couldn't follow your schematics probably couldn't pour piss out of a boot if it had instructions on the heel.

This would be my take for procedure, though:

A) Assuming you have a reproducible problem

1) Don't need a voltmeter yet. You can test the LP circuit by unplugging the twin plug in the engine room. You can test the HP circuit by leaving the plug unplugged, and grounding the HP (blue/black) wire [and running the engine over 2k rpm].

If those tests reveal normal operation, test the electronics by removing the ground and varying engine speed above and below 2000 rpm. If light and buzzer come on above and off below, then HP electronics are OK. Reduce speed below 2000 rpm and ground the LP wire -- if light flashes, LP electronics are ok.

If you get to this point, your problem is either a sender or the engine (or the last two feet of wire). Which sender is in question of course depends on whether you're getting a low-rpm light or a high-rpm buzzer. You can either swap the sender for a [theoretically] good one, remove it and pressure-test it for correct operation, or check the engine oil pressure.

OTOH if your earlier electrical checks fail, you have to retest back at the panel connector. If it's good there, wiring problem. If bad, panel connector or L-board or circuit foil.

B) Assuming an intermittent problem

1) Plumb in an oil pressure gauge inside the engine room if you dont' want to run it up front. Leave it there until that buzzer goes off, then go back and read the darn thing. If it's reading correctly then chase the electrics/electronics as above. If it's not, then guess what -- you have an oil pressure problem, so fix that and stop worrying about the warning system, it's just doing its job.

Thoughts? david

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"