Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:52:23 -0800
From:         Greg Stelz <gstelz1@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      2nd gear brake band piston UPDATE

Auto trans listees,

Just wanted to pass this conversation along to y'all, because at some point you'll probably be replacing the the 2nd gear brake band piston seals when your tranny starts leaking. If you go to page 38.24 in the Bentley, this is what we're talking about. Sometimes that tiny circlip breaks when you attempt to remove the piston, sometimes it doesn't. I my case, it didn't break. If breaks, it is necessary to remove the valve body to reinsert the rod.

Greg Stelz 86 Westy

> My 2nd gear brand piston cover was leaking. I did > some research in the archives and found that it is > necessary to drop the valve body to reinsert the > piston at the end of the repair. Everyone had > mentioned that the rods "fall out of the pockets" > when > you pop the cover off. > Following this advice, I removed the valve body > first, > and then 2nd gear brake band cover. When I removed > the piston (watching from underneath all the while), > nothing seemed to pop out other than the piston and > cover. It looks like it will fit back in fine, as > if > it were never necessary to remove the valve body. > The transmission has been in Park from the start of > the repair. > > What am I missing here? > Any advice appreciated, > Greg Stelz > 86 Westy > --- AA Transaxle <aatransaxle@juno.com> wrote: > Did you get some help with you question?? I have > been gone for a few > days... > Sometimes the rod that is attached to the piston > will stay in its hole > due to a circlip being broken. If just the cover > comes off and the > piston/rod stays in..great. Just pop it all back > together and double > check where the rod meets tha band to see if it is > in its pocket. Holler > if any questions > Daryl of AA Transaxle > Duvall, WA. (Seattle area) > (425) 788-4070 > 1-877-377-0773 (toll free) > aatransaxle.com (web site)

Daryl, Thanks for the info. This answers my question. In my case the rod came out with the piston in one piece. I had been a little concerned because I read some guys horror story about how he almost smoked the transmission doing this repair. Apparently the rod popped out because of a broken circlip in his case.

Thank You! Greg Stelz 86 GL to Westy conversion] Coulumbus, Ohio