Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:54:25 -0800
From:         Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@XRXGSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wierd digifant problem today!

Here is the scoop.

Pulled out of the driveway, 2.1l engine. Pulled out of the driveway and low power foot on gas surged to 1800 down to idle and back 3 times......................

Drove into town, and no power...black smoke.....occasional normal operation. I looked at the fi connections and all seemed well. Most of the FI is fairly new, but it had been running fine up to this point. Any ideas or experiences with this?

Adam P

Disconnect the O2 sensor. I installed a new O2 sensor when I repaired the heads on my van a couple of weeks ago, and I had to rewire it, had it working this past Monday, filled the tank Tuesday afternoon, and when I started the van next morning, no power, backfiring and it died after it was warm. It ran like this the whoe day, and this morning, same ritual. I thought it was bad gasoline, but decided to disconnect the O2 sensor, and what do you know, it ran like it should the rest of the day. I filled the tank again today, so I'll plug it back. Did you hear that 1999-2001 New Beetles, Jettas and Golfs have a factory recall due to bad O2 sensors? Read about it today on VW Trends, so it's not impossible that I could have a bad one.

Hector