Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:26:59 -0600
From:         "Smola, Tony" <TSmola@TRIBUNE.COM>
Subject:      turn your 1.9L into a 2.1L without having to actually buy a 2.1L
              case

Fellow vanagonites,

I have just spoken to a shop here in So Cal that says that a 69mm crank from a 1.9L can be turned into a 78mm 2.1L crank......No need to get the 2.1 L case, and all that

Or you can go to a 86mm crank........or if you want 90mm of cranking crank, he will convert a 69mm type-1 crank into a 90mm crank and make the mains into type 4's........WOW! Now we just need to do our homework and find the place that has the 86 X 94 mm P/C kits for the WBX. Gene Berg has them but they're $2000........This seems to be the part that keeps people from doing the conversion. We need the special pistons that work with this increased stroke...... Imagine 2.4L of stump pulling torque, we'll have Vanagons that will pull any hill...... I want to keep everything else stock like compression....well maybe to 9:1 at the most....whatever the digijet or digifant will take.....valve train will remain stock for longevity and not to wear out those precious valve guides....2.1L heads get the shorter guides which are prone to wear faster than 1.9L valve guides.....I don"t want something that has top end. I want something that pulls strong from 2k all the way up to 4500 rpm....anything over that and you'll be getting poor gas mileage......and just think with a 2.4 L you'll be able to get that SA 5-speed with the overdrive 5th......yeah baby.... yeah

Euro 2.1L vanagons had 115 BHP......but I think they had 10:1 compression

A 86 crank x 94 bore will yield a 2387 cc motor.........115 hp and plenty of torque too!

Malibu Tony