Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:03:29 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Report
Comments: To: nemobuscaptain@yahoo.com

When Volkswagen manufactured your Vanagon or Westy they had only a few tire options. Since then there have been substantial improvements in tire safety, construction, tread patterns. My tire info plate indicates 33 psi front, 40 psi rear. I ran the best Michelin tire that I could get in a 185x14 for six years. These tires started separating at 10,000 miles and Discount Tire company graciously replaced them under warranty each time they failed. My tire failures always appeared after I had been driving off road on very rough rocky roads, I could hear the tire almost as soon as I reached highway speeds. I always stopped and mounted my spare when I heard the tire noise begin. In every situation the tires separated where the tread is bonded to the tire carcass and at least two tires out of the set failed, sometimes all four failed and were replaced. I opted to upgrade to the Agilis 61 tire the last time around, the upgrade cost me about $150.00 for the four tires. The Agilis 61 introduced me to the potential of the Westy that had been completely lost with the lesser quality tires. Easier steering, reduced wind buffeting, reduced sway in crosswinds and a good controlled ride. I'm quite sure that there are other manufacturers that offer a comparable tire at reasonable prices. If your current tires will not meet the recommended inflation pressure of 40 psi or whatever is printed on your tire inflation info plate, you're simply running on dangerous tires. When the tire sidewall says 35psi at 1600 pounds load that indicated that the maximum inflation is 35 psi, not meeting the minimum requirement. The least of your problems is premature tire failure as I experienced but you're cheating yourself out of the truly good steady ride that your Vanagon was designed to give you with the proper tires. If you've got the right tires of the right load dating of C or D you don't need oversized tires. Contrary to popular belief oversized tires don't give you longer tire life, easier steering, smoother ride, better braking, thats either all in your head or out of the tire salesman mouth. In actuality the oversized tires over tax your suspension system, sway on corners, squirrel out under hard breaking and fail early from wrong inflation. I'm a price buyer like many list members and I like a good deal as much as the next guy but if you're not running the correct tire you're just cheating yourself in the one area that you can actually improve your Westy / Vanagon.

Stan Wilder

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:02:25 -0800 "Nemo, the Bus Captain" <nemobuscaptain@YAHOO.COM> writes: > Just purchased a set of Liberator truck tires in > 225/70/14 for my 74 bus from Walmart. Paid $45 > plus $7 for mounting and roadhazard. > > Here's a link: > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/content_shops.gsp?cat=77604 > > The larger tires fit fine. It's mounted on the > standard rim. There is no rubbing at all. No > noticeable affect on power. Haven't checked the > speedo to see if it's off enough to register. > Ride is good, or even too soft for my taste. No > noticeable noise. > > The load rating is adequate at 1625 lbs. I have > them at 35psi which is the tire's max. This is > my only concern. Having run passenger tires on > busses in the past, I have learned my lesson and > prefer adequate load range (1625lbs is ok) and > higher pressure. I thought the tire said 45 > psi max. > > My tires on my vanagon were D-rated > Cooper/Mastercraft Courser R/D 195/(85)/14's > that were inflated to 45psi and a load rating of > 2000 lbs per tire. I really like those tires. > The stiff sidewalls meant very little sway on the > interstate or going around curves. However, > there road style tread wasn't what I wanted for > the camper. > > Had I known of the max pressure, I might have > hesitated and purchased instead a set of > LT27x8.5x14. (I also considered a mud terrain > tread instead of an all terrain. As our busses > cannot go that fast on the interstate, but need > good traction for camping, I don't view it as > much of a tradeoff. Wouldn't put aggressive > tires on my other vehicles, but the are capable > of sustained 75mph on the interstate.) > > Overall, pretty happy with the purchase, > especially the price and walmart's guarantee and > availability of service. I cannot wait to try > these things out on the dirt roads this summer. > > > > > ===== > Peace and blessings, > Ray > > Nemo, the Bus Captain > Huntington, Westy Virginia > 74 Westy- yet to be named 84 Vanagon- yet to be sold (sunroof & > zbed/cushion, now a wasserleaker BEST OFFER > http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mrnimmo/lst?&.dir=/84+vanagon+sunroof+weeke nder+camper&.src=bc&.view=t&.begin=1&.order=&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yah oo.com/bc/mrnimmo/lst%3f%26.dir=/84%2bvanagon%2bsunroof%2bweekender%2bcam per%26.src=bc%26.view=t > (to access these photo's you may need a free yahoo account) > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage > http://sports.yahoo.com/ >