Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:21:05 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 GL Newbie Needs Direction
Comments: To: Matt Sutton <msutts@EARTHLINK.NET>

Matt Sutton wrote:

> Hello, > I'm a new Vanagon GL owner. It's an 88, with original 2.1 L , > manual transmission, and 100k miles.

Yo, Matt! Welcome to THE list!!

You will enjoy this crowd! We've got some serious gearheads in this bunch, and collectively there ain't much that you won't find out about vanagon ownership. Good bunch of folk, and on Fridays they really let it all sometimes.

I'm an 88 GL Driver myself, and have had my share of 88 GL hassles.

Dynamic oil warning system buzzers and lights, blow-out of the coolant level sensor, broken oil pressure switches, coolant woes, holes in pistons, tranny overhauls, speedo repairs, replacement, etc, etc, etc. But I would not have another vehicle in its place. For my purposes the Vanagon is perfectly configured. There is not another vehicle out there today that can match it, much less be superior to it.

Oil pressure light - Look in the vanagon.com web site and checkout some of the list parts vendors. Order yourself some Mahle oil filters. I get mine from Ken Wilford of this list. Also be sure that you get some drain plug washers and keep a supply on hand. They are cheap, cheap, and replacing the old with a new one everytime you chainge your oil is cheap insurance against some knucklehead trying to stop an oil seap by overtightening the the plug. Don't know what oil you are using, but unless you are in really cold weather, a good brand of a 20W50 detergent oil is called for. Doing these two things may very well solve the oil light problem. Perhaps not, but likely.

Definitely attend to the temp gage problem. It is a safety item for a tempermental engine. You can't afford to be without it.

Speedometer is repairable.

Idles at 2K when cold and very low when warm? Do a setup on the engine and re-set the idle to be sure it is correct. Only if it is correct can you then do some of the other tuning activities.

Warm the engine, then shut it off. On tope oof the engine is a rubber tube with a cylinder called the Idle Stabilizer Valve (ISV for short) at one end. At the end of the cylinder is an electrical connection. Disconnect it. Start the engine, check the idle. The idle adjustment screw is a very large slotted screw head that you will readily see just to the right of the tube I mentioned. Adjust it right or left to set the idle at 900-950 rpm. Once done, shut the engine off and reconnect the ISV connector. With the engine cold, the ISV should cause the engine to idle 1000 to 1200 rpm. Once warm, it should drop back to the idle speed you set up. There is also a black box behind the right rear brak light that also comes into play in relation to idle speeds, but you don't need to worry about that one until you have checked out other things.

The Temp II sensor provides input to the ECU of the vehicle and affects idle speed and enrichment functions of the fuel injection system. If it malfunctions, all kinds of hard starting, rough idle, strange engine speeds, etc. can ensue. It's good to know how it fits the scheme of things. It is a frequently reported source of problems.

Hope this little bit.

Good luck, and again,

"Welcome"

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver.