Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:40:47 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Dr. Strangelove is clearly still alive in the Pentagon.
Comments: To: JKrevnov@AOL.COM

At 2:55 PM -0500 3/9/02, Rico Sapolich wrote: >Oh what strange days. I recall Rumfield's words early on: something to the >effect that we do not know who the enemy is, where the theater will be and we >do not have a timeline, BUT WE ARE GOING TO WAR! Hallelujah! War sweet war. > Someone once said to be loved by the Great Unwashed, all a leader has to do >is to create some horror, real or imagined, from which to deliver them. It >is starting to appear that this "War on Terrorism" may have the hypnotic >power to justify anything.

Especially alarming is the most recent Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) as described in http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-arkinmar10.story

Here's a key part: "... The NPR coins the phrase "New Triad," which it describes as comprising the "offensive strike leg," (our nuclear and conventional forces) plus "active and passive defenses,"(our anti-missile systems and other defenses) and "a responsive defense infrastructure" (our ability to develop and produce nuclear weapons and resume nuclear testing). Previously, the nuclear "triad" was the bombers, long-range land-based missiles and submarine-launched missiles that formed the three legs of America's strategic arsenal.

[...]

It calls for "a new strike system" using four converted Trident submarines, an unmanned combat air vehicle and a new air-launched cruise missile as potential new weapons.

[...]

Bush administration officials stress that the development and integration of nonnuclear capabilities into the nuclear force is what permits reductions in traditional long-range weaponry. But the blueprint laid down in the review would expand the breadth and flexibility of U.S. nuclear capabilities.

In addition to the new weapons systems, the review calls for incorporation of "nuclear capability" into many of the conventional systems now under development. An extended-range conventional cruise missile in the works for the U.S. Air Force "would have to be modified to carry nuclear warheads if necessary." Similarly, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter should be modified to carry nuclear weapons "at an affordable price."

The review calls for research to begin next month on fitting an existing nuclear warhead into a new 5,000-pound "earth penetrating" munition. ..."

as well as the original story in the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-030902bombs.story

wherein the following excerpt:

"They're trying desperately to find new uses for nuclear weapons, when their uses should be limited to deterrence," said John Isaacs, president of the Council for a Livable World. "This is very, very dangerous talk . . . Dr. Strangelove is clearly still alive in the Pentagon."

>What is particularly scary to me is that over the past few years I gotten to >know the guys who were fighting the "War on Drugs" (but not on snow days or >when their kids had a soccer game or any Federal holiday or on rainy >Mondays...) who are now assigned to our new threat. Believe me, you can >count on them to calculate how many minutes of service it takes to retire >from the government, but there are two things you do NOT want to depend on >them to protect: your Constitution or your ass. >

You might already know that former General Barry McCaffrey, President Clinton's "Drug Czar", spent close to $20 BILLION per year of our tax money on the "War on Drugs". The interesting part being how little of that money actually went to treat addiction versus the DEA's little war on the drug suppliers and interdiction of the supply lines.

OLTECO Ari Ollikainen P.O. BOX 20088 Networking Architecture and Technology Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com 94309-0088 415.517.3519