Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:36:36 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Bleeding the front radiator
Comments: To: Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>

Hi Westy lovers… Fist let me tell you that I am a Certified Mechanic (Airplane engine) and I did work in the pass for a Motorcycle dealer (Honda-Kawasaki) and only did pure engine repair.

I have an 87 GL 2.1, I totally agree with Dennis, DON'T warm the engine first, no need at all. Fill all you can first (and open front radiator bleeder screw first), you should be able to get 95% of the coolant in if not 99%. The Vanagon as a special cooling system because it as 4 different highs point (Gravity problem) Air pocket (they always go to the higher point) can form at any of this 4 places, but with time those air pocket should move around and will sooner or later found they way to the engine heads. The 86 and later model have a metal bleeder ring around the rear hatch, there is several line that goes to the engine head, so when air reach the head """it should go up""" (It should!!!) in those line and self bleed. Raising the front is done only if you don't want to open (can be messy) the heater bleeder (By the way, I never found any bleeder screw in the front heater rad!!!!!! Where is it located?) Raising the front WON'T move the air trapped in the 2 heater core that much but raising both end (front and rear) could help only if after filling and running the van for a while dos not help (engine over heating). The best way is to open at least the rear heater core bleeding screw. The Westy as a "gravity" problem when bleeding, 4 high points; the first one is the front radiator (bleeding screw on left-top side), second one is the rear heater core (white screw on top), third one is the thermostat housing (Black screw) the fourth one is the front heater core (never found this one) Note: this apply for the 86 (2.1) and up engine.

I did this job last year when I replaced my head gaskets and I never raise the front or the rear.

Follow Dennis procedure, the only thing I would add is to open also the front radiator bleeding screw at the same time as the other.

I have a small web page, Cumming soon is the water pump removal / replacing, with many other cooling parts. I will also do a section of the "overall" refreshing of the intake fuel injection system including removal / cleaning of the injector, Air flow meter, and everything else surrounding the top part of the engine. My engine intake / airflow conduits need a new paint job.

Regards to you all, Ben

My page: http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/ (you can see a picture of my engine before the big clean up I just started)