Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:03:34 -0700
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about possible purchase of 91 Westy

I bought my '91 Westy in Salt Lake almost 2 years ago for 12K. 93K, no rust, good tires, a/c had a slow leak, still does and suspect it's seals/o-rings, no oil or coolant leaks, still does not burn oil, all the electrical work, fridge and stove work, has a propane heater. I have replaced the right tie rod and now everything up there is spec. Replaced shocks and front brake pads when I got it...rides much better. Fixed the drivers side front sag. Yours sounds like it's got some seal and compression work to do, but you'll get better information on that from others here and your mechanic Monday. Just an aside, I switched the engine and tranny (automatic) to synthetic and it has made a big difference in ease of starting and initial running in cold weather. Bob

Happy is he who bears a god within. -- Louis Pasteur http://communities.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare

----Original Message Follows---- From: Dale Goodvin <dgoodvin@YAHOO.COM> Reply-To: Dale Goodvin <dgoodvin@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Questions about possible purchase of 91 Westy Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:19:21 -0800

Hi All,

Looking at a 91 Westy:

--89,000 miles --some rust along the bottom and on the body seams --drives perfectly (did well at 75mph) --automatic transmission --clean interior --appliances clean and they work --canvas near perfect --all lights, switches seem to be fine --air conditioning

Vehicle is in my garage waiting for mechanical inspection monday morning.

Owner left "Pre-purchase inspection" paperwork for his purchase of the camper in June/1901.

Interesting: he had $673.16 worth of work done (replaced "feed pipe" , relined rear brakes, replaced ACC belts)--$333 in labor, $281 in parts.

No indication here that the engine was worked on at the same time--but Compression Test is not pretty: 150-120-90-120 (written under the numbers: "Head"--"C-shi (I think)"--"Poor"--"Seep").

This does not sound good, so I will definitely share this information with my mechanic--maybe the present owner had work done on the engine (he's somewhere skiing in the mountains now, so I can't ask). We shall see.

Under Engine, Oil Leaks, Visual Inspection, it says: "Flywheel-seal".

Asking price is $12,000/obo.

If the mechanic says things are basically OK, I'm going to take it to a body shop and ask about the rust and what it would cost to fix it.

I am nervous.

Any comments, suggestions, concepts or philosophy gladly accepted.

Dale (and Trish)

===== "In most cases there is no free exercise whatever ... of the moral sense."--Henry David Thoreau