Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Mar 2002 05:12:44 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kadm@PUGETSOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: All About 16" Wheels - CV-900s Have Arrived

Refering to my assertion of yesterday, I, indeed, didn't know what I was talking about :). I was wrong when I said, "This effect is more than an additive one." In actual fact the increased effect is only additive and not "by the square", exponential, logarithimic, or such. As the radius of the wheel/tire changes, you are simply changing the length of the effective lever arm with the axle center its fulcrum.

-Dana-

I may or may not know what I'm talking about, but...one other consideration when deciding on wheel/tire combos is that as you increase the diameter/width of the wheel/tire you also increase the flywheel mass and the rotational inertia of the wheel/tire at speed. The added mass is concentrated at or near the circumference, and will affect your Vanagon's acceleration, how you climb mt. passes, how your brakes wear, and how you stop (you will be happy you installed the larger brakes to complement the larger wheels). This effect is more than an additive one. I believe increasing the wheel/tire diameter by 10% will give a greater than 10% increase in the resultant inertia of the rotational mass. Therefore increased effort/time of more than 10% to bring your Vanagon to a halt. Unless I'm wrong or half right :).

-Dana-