Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 00:09:39 +0000
From:         Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Help Vanagon stuck in Chico, CA

To all vanagon techies!

I'm Stuck in Chico, CA and need to get back to Sacramento by tomorrow morning for work. Here is my situation.

Yestday, I took it on myself to retorque my heads per the torqure rating in the Bently manual. I removed the rocker arms and retorqued the 8 nuts on each head and then reinstalled the rocker arms. Everything went as planned. However now when I turned the starter on the van the engine acts like it has no compression and will not start. I have plenty of fuel and spark. It ran just fine before I removed the rocker arms.

I was told that the hydraulic lifters have re-adjusted themselves. One solution was disable the fuel and spark and crank the engine until the lifters settled back in and the valves would close fully again, creating full compression. So I canked the engine a long time (5 min total) and still it sounds like it doesn't have compression. I reattached the spark and fuel and I'll get one ignition puff on the first two cranks and that it.

How can I get my compression back? Do I have to re-adjust all of the valves?

Please respond as soon as possible. I need to get home tonight!

Much thanks to this wonderful list.

-Blake Heinlein blakeheinlein@hotmail.com