Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 01:13:04 -0800
From:         Patrick Harris <harrisvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Project "Bessie": Her Death

Yup, bad bad bad news.

For those of you out there that have read some of the emails about my 81 van that I've been working on called Bessie, she died a horrible firey death Friday night.

Approximately 11:45pm Friday night (Mar. 15, 2002) the garage that housed Bessie burnt down to the ground. Fire investigators have deemed it an electrical failure in the panel box. Said it looked like one of the breakers had exploded and fried all the wiring in the box and subsequently caught the whole freakin shop on fire. They found the breaker box laying face down in the rubble. It was perfectly intact, but nothing, and I mean nothing else survived.

The shop was insured, but I'm not sure if they're going to cover what I had in there as far as Bessie goes because I didn't have that many pictures of her as I was going along. Last batch of film I shot was when she was primed and gutted. So, not much help there. The engine that I dumped a crap load of moola into is a complete waste. All that head work, case work, and loads of extras.. gone. It was on the bench while I worked on the van itself. Most if it is melted down because of the heat from the parts wash bin burning so hot. It was right next to it.

I really wish I had something else to work with. Even if it was just burnt to a crisp, I could work with something. But, the beams overhead came down on top of the rig and folded it two different ways. I haven't been up there since yesturday and have taken pictures, but are hesitant to look at them nor put them for display until the sick feeling in my stomach goes away. Well, I'll see if anything is still intact. I'm sure that some suspension stuff is in good condition. I'll make a list and sell it on the list for cheap.

Ugh, she was looking great too. It really fries my butt. It's sickening to think all that work, poof. Anyways, just thought I'd update everyone. Kind of a bitch that I sold that other 81 I had. Oh well, maybe the man upstairs is telling me to get away from Vanagons or something. But, I still have my 87 and God willing, nothing will happen to it. I'll make the pictures available sometime when I feel like looking at the carnage again.

Umm.. whatever. Good evening everyone.

Patrick Harris Longview, Washington 1981 Vanagon (Project "Bessie") ** DECEASED ** 1987 Vanagon GL