Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:43:16 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Help Vanagon stuck in Chico, CA
Comments: To: blakeheinlein@hotmail.com

Hope you are not still stuck but if you are here is what has happened: One or more of your push rods is not centered in the hydraulic lifters properly. This is holding your valves open to the point where you are getting no compression.

Try to loosen your push rod adjusting screws when the engine is on TDC for each cylinder. You will find that on one or two of the valves on each cylinder you will be able to adjust the screw all the way and the rocker arm is still compressing the valve. This is because the push rod is not centered properly in the lifter. Loosen the rocker assembly enough so that you can move the push rods to where they need to be (centered in the lifter). Retighten the rocker arm assembly. You should now have some slack between the rocker arm and the push rod and be able to adjust the screws in several turns before they will actually touch the end of the valve. I would just adjust the valves to zero lash (the adjuster screws just touching the end of the valve). Do this on all four cylinders. Now she will crank up and run great.

I have had this happen to me more than a couple of times before I caught on. Even bought a van one time that the guy had just put new head gaskets on and couldn't get it to run. A few minutes of getting the push rods centered and she was running like a champ. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-765-1583 Fax: (856)-327-2242