Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:40:41 -0800
From:         Dale Goodvin <dgoodvin@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Mechanics findings with 91 Westy

Hi All,

Well the reports are in on the 91 I am thinking of buying:

1. Bad engine: $1200 for Cyl head gaskets, $1750 for cyl head gaskets with cyl heads, $3000 for rebuilt engine. OVALS in Federal Way "Suspects that engine will have to be replaced and will not be able to be repaired." So they think the probable figure is: $3000 2. Front and Rear Shocks: $260 3. They found no rust under the vehicle; I took it to a couple of body shops. Both thought the areas along the bottom of the van, which I thought were rusty and painted over, were just covered with some kind of seam seal. There is cancer under the drivers door, which one body shop said would cost $500 to repair but he said it really wasn't a big deal. Probably could get basic fix for a couple hundred.

So: Very nice interior, camping appliances in excellent and very clean condition, pop-top canvas in excellent condition. Van is a 91, auto transmission, air, 90,000 miles.

Owner is asking $12000/OBO. I am in WA state where Westies are priced a higher than most places.

I think it's worth only about $9,000 due to the engine troubles. BTW, it was advertised as being in "excellent condition" even though the owner KNEW about the engine problems (I found the papers for the pre-purchase inspection he had done on the vehicle when he bought it 9 months ago; they included this quote: "head gasket poor, seep"). It was a pure accident that the papers were still in the glovebox and that I found them.

All opinions sought and appreciated.

Thanks,

Dale

===== "In most cases there is no free exercise whatever ... of the moral sense."--Henry David Thoreau