Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:12:18 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: coldness of frig
Comments: To: 5days@PRODIGY.NET

> >I am planning to take my three little children camping and canoing in about >two weeks. I haven't used the appliances yet since buying the Westy >(except at the time of purchase). I will be going to an area where there >is electrical hook-up. How cold should I expect the refrigerator to be? >Certainly this thing isn't going to make ice yet it should keep milk cold, >no?

My fridge will make ice, albeit not very quickly. These fridges work best when you "warm them up" on 110 before switching to propane. The key element to keeping a cold fridge is air circulation inside the fridge past the evap unit (assuming everything else is working)

For a ton of info, see the articles posted on www.vanagon.com under the "Info-->Essays and Articles" section. There are several articles available

> >also I assume it is best to bring water and not drink from the sink (only >dish washing?). >

Depends on what you fill it with! :-) Seriously, at the beginning of each season, I flush my water tank and lines + faucet with a weak solution of bleach and water (plain Clorox - no fragrances or anything - 1 TBS bleach to 1 gal of water.) Then I flush with fresh water from the hose and follow up with a solution of baking soda and water (about 1/4 cup per gallon of water). Rinse and flush again, making sure you get rid of any gritty residue that might be in the bottom of the holding tank.

If convenient, I will fill the tank with purified water on road trips (from those coin-operated dispensing machines) or if in the Sierras or Cascades, just about anywhere. If so, I will drink from the faucet. More commonly I end up putting municipal "tap" water in it from a hose, in which case I will prefer to drink bottled water (I carry a separate 5 gal square jug) because I am a water snob. But in a pinch (like waking up at 3 AM after one too many glasses of Cabernet and the "good" water is outside) I will drink this "tap" water right from the faucet. :-)

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA