Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:41:19 EST
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seeing out the back window on a Westy w/ AC
Comments: To: sbsyncro@hotmail.com

Brent et al.--

I'll put the info that I think is new in this thread first in this e-mail then I follow with telling you what everybody else has already. I do the last because it makes me feel important, so bear with me.

FLAPS usually sell a suction cup interior rear view mirror. You can suction cup it to the windshield and see how new placement of the mirror will suit you--what's the best spot etc. Problem with the suction cup mirror is it vibrates like a son of a gun, and, while it's not useless, as a permanent fixture it is not optimum. But the suction cup mirror gives you opportunity to decide if you like the idea without a permanently mounted mirror.

Then like some others have I mounted a day-night rear view mirror low on the winshield, about 3 inches or so above the dash. And same as others, if their are people in the back seat you'll only see their heads with the new mirror. I deal with that by organizing the ride so the best looking people sit in the back seat when I'm travelling with more than two people.

I got the day-night mirror that glues to the windshield at FLAPS and it's black and suits the interior fine. Problem is it wacks out the dash mounted compass rendering the compass useless. Go figure. I've seen rear view windshield mounted mirrors in the new Jettas that look like they might be all plastic--mine from the FLAPS has a metal mounting shaft which I think is the culprit of the compass debacle which had me heading south to Wichata, KS thinking I was heading to west to Colorado in the mirror's early days.

I kept the stock interior rear view mounted where it is and it is useful also and doesn't really take away from the rakish lines of the Vanagon--think the scooter on the cover of the Quadraphenia album.

And further I would say "yes" to the fishnel lense in the rear window. It's a real nephew saver. "Yes" to the rectangular convex mirrors on the outside rear view mirrors.

Jeff 83.5 Westy 93 Fox LA,CA