Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:59:43 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil ring gap
Comments: To: Javier Zavala <zavlomja@EC-RED.COM>

Javier Zavala wrote:

> Hola Amigos: > > I would like to know if anyone remembers what is the gap for the oil rings; > Iīm changing all rings in the pistons but the oil ones seem to have a huge > gap and donīt know if it is right. (Gap measured with rings inside the > cylinder)

Javier, I'm not greatly familiar with auto mechanics, but as aircraft mechanic, we were taught that every ring has a specified end gap clearnance or space. The actual dimension for that clearance was found in the overhaul manual for the particular engine. To measure the end gap clearance, the ring was placed in the cylinder and with the piston as a pusher to keep the ring in the right level all the way around, it was set to the appropriate depth in the cylinders as if it was installed on the piston. A feeler gauge was used to measure the end gap. If the gap was to small, the ring was removed and both ends held tightly to a flat bastard file, the ring was pulled the length of the file, then checked again. It was filed that way until the gap was at the minimum clearance. If ther gap was to big the ring was replaced.

There are I suspect ring gap clearance specs somewhere in the Bentley's. Find them, then have your mechanic show you the clearances with the feeler gage. That way you know it will be right. Also be sure the gaps are spread out around the piston. If the gaps are aligned there will be a compression problem.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver