Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:54:51 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas went up $0.13 a gal overnight what's up?
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

Frank Condelli wrote:

> In a message dated 3/19/2002 12:38:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > > Re: Gas went up $0.13 a gal overnight what's up? > > > Gas prices are absurd ! On my recent trip to Daytona I saw prices > from $1.12 to $1.35 sometimes next to one another ! Go figure !!

They are absurd. Around the Birmingham area it's the same way. Currently ranging from $1.19.9 to $1.30.9. Regular has gone from $0.96.9 to $1.19.9 in less than two weeks at my favorite fuel stop.

IMHO there is no good reason for the price increases, especially with the winter not being near as harsh as the year before. There is plenty of oil available at present. It's just the oil companies playing their annual " we hope the public is going to travel a lot this summer and make us lots of money" game. Yes, I know there is concern over events in the Mid- East. But I don't think the oil markets as yet have anything to really worry about yet.

I do agree with Bulley ..... if the fuel prices go the route of those in Europe and some other nations, We are going to suffer while our economy adjusts. And as a consequence there will be major economic changes here in the US. And since what that shake-out will be like is unknowable - it's scarey. No doubt many things we see everyday will simply disappear and be come history, and many businesses will fail. But there may be blessings as well. Walmart sells stuff as cheap as it does ... and the Dumb public goes for that bottom dollar --- because it can be bought so cheap overseas and shipped so cheap to America. Add huge shipping costs onto stuff in Walmart, and you will see people's buying patterns change. It may well bring back local manufacturing.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver