Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:50:09 -0600
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Rear Axle Bearing Installation
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

So do these bearings develop slop that allows the axle to slide in and out?

I would say my axle nut was loose but I know (think) it isn't.

I'm not driving it anyhow these days - still trying to rebuild the interior - so little chance of crashing due to a wheel falling off.

At 05:54 PM 1/9/02 -0600, you wrote: >I did this job today. Just rebuilt my existing boxes. >Two hours crusing pawn shops looking for big socket for the >nut........... no luck. >Two hours crusing local auto repair shops to find someone to torque the >nuts back after I ground the old ones off and installed my new bearings, >seals, brake lines, wheel cylinders and of course that big nut. >The total labor time on this job was about four hours as advised by >several list members. >The bearings were loose but didn't show the tell tale blue form heat. >The old grease was pretty stiff and most of it was under the spacer and >nowhere near the bearings. It looked to be the old type that has cotton >fiber in it, definitely not any chance of it moving near the bearings. >I've wrecked out a few vanagons and I usually find grease about like 90 >wt in there so I was surprised to see heavy clumps. >The bearings were getting pretty sloppy by the looks of the seal area on >the stub axles, it was spread out much more than the 1/8" inch or less >that I like to see. >Strangest thing! I actually had a try-arc plier that took the locking >ring right out. >If you're planning on doing the bearing replacement or re packing your >rear axle stubs I'd suggest that you put it off as long as you can >............. boy an I tired. >I'll drive by the finalist repair shop tomorrow morning and pay the nice >fellow $10.00 for two minutes work torquing the two big nuts. (still >cheaper than tool rental to do it myself). >Thanks to all for your advise. > >Stan Wilder > >On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:25:18 -0600 Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com> writes: > > I've just about mustered up enough courage to install my rear new > > wheel bearings and seals. > > I'm going to just grind off the old nut (got new replacements). > > The question: > > Is it easier to pull the entire swing arm assembly or just the drive > > axle box to knock out the old bearings and install the new seals? > > I've got a complete spare set of arms with all of the brake parts > > attached and I'm considering just installing the new parts in the > > spare swing arms and doing a swap. This looks to be the simplest > > method although it appears to still be an all day job. > > Your comments are encouraged. > > > > Stan Wilder > > 83 Aircooled Westfalia

Chris M. <Busbodger - "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion