Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:41:33 -0700
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel prices - no Vanagon content

>I agree that the best thing that could ever happen in the USA would be >for fuel prices to increase to European levels. This would force vehicle >manufacturers to build smaller and more >efficient vehicles and thus we would become more independent of the >overseas oil nations.

If we import 80% of our oil (made up number) and our cars are getting 20mpg, we are too dependent on foreign oil, which all would agree is not a good thing.

If we force the price to $8 a gallon, and end up with tiny little Yugos to drive around in, we will still import 80% of our oil, already agreed upon to be a bad thing. Where is the benefit if our percentage of dependence remains the same??

We pay less at the pump than other countries because we are the ones funding the middle east protection racket and ours are the men dying to keep the oil flowing. I'll be damned if I think it would be fair for us to pay the same amount for a gallon as say, the French. How many French men have died in the middle east? How much money have the French citizens paid in taxes to fund a military presence in Kuwait, and to keep the oil flowing out?

I am not picking on the French :) but the point is, we pay plenty for a gallon of gas, its just hidden from view like our tax system. There are many legit studies that put the cost of a gallon of gas in America into double digits. The problem is that if the price goes to $7 a gallon, we will still be paying through the "back door" as well.

Sitting around wishing the price of gasoline would go through the roof certainly seems like a self destructive attitude. If someone is so concerned about the environment and the cost of gasoline, then go ahead and buy an economy vehicle, but if your wishes for higher gas prices comes true, you can kiss this list goodbye, along with the ability to pick up and go whenever you want.

Certainly a subject with plenty of flame potential, figuratively, as well as literally. <g>

John