Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:36:47 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: West Propane Tanks
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

At 05:12 PM 3/20/2002, John Brush wrote: >Don't have a Westy yet, and not that familiar, but curious about how >expensive the propane tank are. Are they sort of a custom size? How much >do they hold?

They're made by Manchester Tank, the original mfr. -- cost around $250 from Bus Depot and prolly others. Supposed to hold 10# / 3 gallons (fill volume which is 80% of actual volume). Mine holds 2.8 from dry.

>The big question is what happens next month when all tanks must be fitted >with the OPD valve in order to be filled. Does that mean all the westy's >have to throw their tanks into the recycle bin, and buy new ones? Are you >folks having them refitted with the valves ($$$$)

To the best of my knowledge that requirement refers only to DOT-type (BBQ-style) tanks. Our tanks are built and certified toASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) standard and are a different animal (no requirement for recertification, for example).

>I haven't seen one comment on this so I am wondering if you can go to >Sam's and get a replacement tank, or what?

No, they're unique.

david