Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:42:47 -0500
From:         Laurence Smith <lsmith@COGECO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cough, Choke, Splutter!
Comments: To: Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@hotmail.com>

Mike,

Your O2 wiring sounds right. Please note: The white wire that attaches to the ECU cannot be seen. It is inside the harness.

The spade connector (where the green connects to the black) is the core (+'ve portion) of the O2 signal. For the ECU to use this O2 signal properly there has to be sheilding and the green coax wire has this sheild starting about 1" after the spade connector. If you look closely at the green wire spade connection (about 1" inwards) you will see the green wire goes from a small diameter to a thicker diameter with a slight ridge. This ridge is the start of the outer ground sheath.

This sheilded green wire goes into the harness and near the ECU it branches off. The outside ground sheath branches into a white wire and this white connects to Terminal 19.

The white coax wire in Bentley has nothing to do with the spade connector or the O2 white wires. It is just an unfortunate coincidence that the colors are the same which causes some confusion.

As for the theory, I think that there is an internal break in the ground wire coming off Terminal 19. In the Vanagon archives there is talk about replacement O2 wires due to a breakdown in the coax sheathing. VW actually has a part number and replacement for the entire O2 green wire and sheathing so this tells you that the problem is known.

When I was trying to solve my problems I did almost everything to try to do the fix. It took me 3 months to resolve it. The Terminal 19 ground was the culprit. To satisfy myself that is was fixed, I can remove the new ground and the symptoms return 100% of the time.

Even when the O2 sensor was disconnected the problem was still there. This told me that the internals of the coax wire were faulty. I was getting ready to replace the whole green wire when I decided to try just adding a new ground to Terminal 19. I think that the coax wire degrades with time and the outer sheath either shorts to the inner core or the ground fails. In my case the Terminal 19 ground failed.

Laurence Smith Hamilton, ON 90 Westy (fanumbos)