Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:48:49 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Will someone repost this to type2

Repost with subject of: RX7 Oil cooler the real skinny Even after thoroughly examining the RX7 oil cooler that I recently installed on my 83 Air Cooled Westfalia I still had some questions. I contacted the RX7 group on the Internet that has expertise on the generation three Mazda Rotary engine. I have made a simple drawing of the functions of the RX7 cooler. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/portp.jpg Apparently the Mazda generates over 100psi on cold morning startups and runs at approximately 60 PSI at 3300 RPMs. The nature of the engine requires a lot of oil flow and the cooler is designed to give un obstructed flow at all operating temperatures and oil pressure levels. The diagram is not to scale and valve porting is approximated in PSI. I hope this is helpful to anyone considering the installation of this oil cooler. I have had pricing on these coolers at retail for as much as $700.00 (Mazda Dealer) $485.00 (After market) Thermostat $85.00 I paid $20.00 for my cooler with the lines. Try to get the cooler with the lines. New Banjo Bolts $6.85, New copper sealing washers $2.85 each, The large banjo hose connectors are expensive and you need the ones on the lines. I think this cooler is a viable solution to cooling down hot oil, I've never gotten over 210 so far in the most adverse conditions of fighting 25 mph head winds on 85 degree days. The real test will be coming this summer when ambient temperatures in Texas reach 110 and over 100 for 30 consecutive days. If you have a good functioning oil pressure gauge you will see a slight bump on your needle as the cooler actuates at the specified pressure porting points. They get this on Mazda as well.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia If you have other questions, P-nail me at wilden1@juno.com or post to vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM , I am not on the type 2list.