Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:27:29 -0800
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Comments: To: wrevens@MYEXCEL.COM

I'll reply to the whole list, since this is something that others may benefit from...

Yes, the volume of mail on this list can be intense (sometimes over 200 a day!). Combined with the 40 or so I get a day from co-workers, it can be pretty burdensome. Here's a couple of comments/suggestions:

1. Create a special folder for Vanagon e-mail to intercept and handle the mail. You can build rules in most e-mail clients (even Hotmail!) which will grab e-mail with "vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com" in the "To:" line and have it stuck into a special folder. This way you can get to it when you have time. This is what I do. I also have additional filters that look for specific content (or posts from specific people) that will either delete or highlight the messages. For example, I ignore anything with "diesel" in the subject, since I don't really care about diesels. I won't say who's messages I ignore/delete, though. :-)

2. Digest mode can be achieved by sending a message to listserve@gerry.vanagon.com with the following in the message body (subjects are ignored): SET VANAGON DIGEST END

(The "END" part is so that it ignores things like signatures, etc.)

The problem with digest mode is that it is less convenient to read (in my opinion) and more difficult to follow a specific thread (I organize my "Vanagon List" folder by message topic so that I can follow or ignore threads as I want). Also, responding to digest messages is difficult, since your default reply subject will say nothing about the thread to which you are relying. Instead you get a subject like "RE: Digest #743568" or something like that.

Finally, you can find out all the cool ways to interact with Gerry at http://gerry.vanagon.com/info/ http://gerry.vanagon.com/info/commands.html ---------and---------- http://gerry.vanagon.com/info/searching.html - A GREAT primer on searching the database!

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA