Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:55:51 -0600
From:         Mary Beth and Chris Geiser <geiser@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine seized, sad day...

Someone had new mechanically controlled TDI's advertised a few months ago - That's what I'd drop in.... With a new reasonably geared tranny... probably $5000 invested... can't come close to a new vehicle for that (or even a reliable used one), and you'd get a lot better mileage and longevity than anything out there today... My 2 cents. Chris

Looks like it's time for yet, another, Tiico.....

Well Volks, sad sad day.

It actually happened a few days ago. My beloved 82 diesel ASI camper Vanagon seized its engine.

I bought the van 4 years ago with 120K miles and original engine. I drove it all over the place, put about 50K miles on it, then decided last year that the engine was getting a little old and tired, and since I had money at the time and knew I was off to medical school in the fall (and would be poor), I decided to get a rebuilt engine, one that would last for years.

The mechanic I got to rebuild the old engine said it was so worn out it couldnt be rebuilt, so we rebuilt off a new (used) block, I replaced a ton of stuff (oil pump, water pump, clutch, etc etc), and dropped it in last spring. Ran beautifully, strong and powerful (well, for a diesel westy). Drove it up to Alaska that summer, took good care of it, broke it in correctly, changed the oil frequently, had no problems with it.

Until last week. The van sat for a week while I was out of town on holiday. I started it up monday, and it just didnt sound right. Loss of power, more smoke than usual, ran a little rough. Got home from school that day, called a mechanic, made an appointment for thursday to bring it in. I'm thinking maybe valves, timing? Dunno. Wednesday morning, I make it about a mile from my house and it stalls out and dies. I restart it with difficulty and manage to turn around to limp home when it dies again. Now it wont start at all. engine cranks a few times, then the starter just clicks. I pop the engine cover and see smoke rising off the starter. Awh sheit I say, lock the van up, then run home to find another way to class. That night, a neighbor and I drive his truck by to tow it. On the way, we decide that maybe the starter died and we can pop it into second and get it started to drive it to the garage; soon as I let out the clutch, the rear tires lock up and squeel like the Dukes of Hazards. Quick call to the mechanic confirms my suspicions that the engine is seized up. $3-4 grand for a rebuild is his quote (about 1G more than last year). Unfortunately, I live a few states away from where I had the work done last year, and havent the time to drive there and kick some arse...

So, anybody got any thoughts on what may have gone wrong? Any suggestions on what to do with it? I mentioned to my wife that I'd like to fix it, but she fixed me with THAT STARE and said "Its too slow, it has no air-conditioning (we live in Phoenix), and not worth the money". New attempts to broach the topic havent gotten me any further. So I guess its going to be sold for parts or for a project to someone. I'll post an official for-sale email with details sometime in the future.

Everyone drink a toast tonight in memory of Jesus, my 82 Vanagon. -- ________________________________________________________________________ ____ __

Kevin Innes

Where have the years gone? Why, into the usual vices of the romantic idealist: into sloth and melancholy, each feeding upon and reinforcing the other, into love and marriage and the begetting of children, into the strenuous maneuvers of earning a living without living to earn, into travel and play and music and drink and talk and laughter, into saving the world - but saving the world was only a hobby. Into watching cloud formations float across our planetary skies. But mostly into sloth and melancholy and I don't regret a moment of it.

-Edward Abbey.