Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:00:22 -0800
From:         ovalwindow <ovalwindow@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: First long trip in 82 diesel - coolant temp?
Comments: cc: VW Diesel List <vwdiesel@vwfans.com>

jon-

sounds like a nice tour!

> noticed that these extended hills in 2nd gear really > brought the coolant > temperature up and had me worried - first time the > temp had gone above half > since I've owned the van (3 weeks or so) and I > wasn't really sure what shape > the cooling system was in.

my diesel rides above the light just driving it across town.... <grins> (no matter *how* many times i bleed the system.....) (it's got 65K original miles, my guess is she's still on the original t-stat...)

> Anyway, I was wondering > when I should start > worrying. Is 3/4 about as high as I should chance > it? When should the fan > kick in?

i believe the fan is a two stage setup. anyway, my fan kicks on about halfway between the light and the far right, and it gets a fair amount of action as you can imagine. most of the diesel vanagon owners i've talked to run cooler, but my guess is that i probably still have the stock thermostat in mine. i think a lot of folks switch to a cooler one. (i think 87 was stock, and 82 or 80 is the other option....) search the archives though to make sure!

if you're fan didn't kick in, it's probably in need of a new switch. i've talked to several diesel vanagon owners who have never heard their fans come on, which seems odd to me, but certainly not w/o reason i guess if they've got the lower temp. t-stat in.

as a reference point, i drove the same engine in a rabbit for 75K miles, and the fan got a good workout in that car (less than half the weight!). so i think it's safe to say the vanagon *should* bring the fan on. (think i'll cross post this to the diesel lists, you might want to monitor them as well.)

> I didn't hear my radiator fan at all. Is > the light behind the > coolant temp gauge for coolant level or coolant > temperature?

the latter.

> Maybe I should > have the cooling system 'pressure tested' for piece > of mind?

no, i think you're in good shape.

have fun! ~j.