Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:51:50 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Vanagon performance
Comments: To: NBuck4149@aol.com

I'd like to give you encouraging words but I've had my 83 Westy Air Cooled for seven years and even with a new engine and various other new parts of consequence it is still an Air Cooled VW. Later Waser Boxer have more power and run faster with 110 hp so that might be a good next move for you. I also get that sinking feeling when I'm going up a hill and every car that I can see in my rear view mirrors catches and passes me before I crest the summit. On beautiful Spring and Summer days with mild breezes I can run 75 on the flats for many miles and I'm still a bump in the road. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to blow an engine trying to fake high performance. My Westy has already proven itself for 20 years and only 1 out of 95,000 of the vehicles passing me will ever see 289K on the speedometer or be road worthy after twenty years of service. The most common statement I hear about my Westy is *I've always wanted one of those* or *I didn't know they still made those.*, mine doesn't look its age. I have two alternate vehicles, a 92 Ford Crown Victoria and an 86 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser land yacht but they aren't fun to drive ......... just utility for round trips. Perhaps a purchasing a second vehicle with good acceleration and highway speeds could balance your frustrations and you could start considering yourself as Classic Vanagon owner.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:51:42 EST Stephen Buck <NBuck4149@AOL.COM> writes: > Should I just accept that my bus is going to take a minute (plus or > minus > 10 seconds) to get to 60 mph? I would love to hear from those who > know. I am > patient but really... New AFM, cat, plugs, wires cap, rotor. > Compression...100 to 118 on all four. California emissions vehicle. > Automatic. ECU swapped, no effect. O2 sensor checked, wired > correctly (shield > grounded). Temp sensors check out. > I'd like to hear your opinion or experience. > Thanks, Steve >