Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Mar 2002 13:17:25 -0500
From:         Greg <kessler@OHIO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: interior color
Comments: To: DaveC <voicebox@dnai.com>

Dave,

I wasn't refering to anything specifc to the years, but the particular vehicles that were available at the time (I should add that I looked all over the country on epage, ebay, online newspapers, etc.). It seemed that most of the later model vanagons that I looked at were still working on original engines and other mechanical equipment while those few 86s that were out there had already had many of these items renewed, thus, the year issue was almost inverted from what would seem obvious. The 86s were still a bit cheaper (or about the same price) but with many updates not found in the later ones. This may have just been my experieince at the time and who knows what the market is like now...

The only real differences after 86 are cosmetic and not even necessarily a good idea if you ask me. The engine, tranny, and all else mechanical and structural is the same (other than the lowering of clearance by 1.2 inches--perhaps a negative if you need it) from 86-91 (that was the range that I shot for in my last vanagon purchase). For example, I would much rather have a chrome bumper than a piece of plastic that cracks VERY easily. And, living in the hills, in the country, the added clearance may help.

If a bigger VW logo on the front and back is an important thing to you, then I guess the later years would be attractive.

You can see for yourself by comparing the info at: http://www.vanagon.com/info/years/

If you are gonna get ANY vanagon that is over 100k on its first engine (particularly with the original heads, untouched), I would suggest that you work the price of a rebuild of at least the heads or new engine into the cost as these things don't go a whole lot beyond that unless they ahve been tenderly cared for since birth.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I bought an overpriced, overworked 89 a few years back, believe me!

I have been much, much happier with my 86!

Greg

86 Westy 73 Thing 99 Subaru Forester

-- Greg Kessler Graduate Oral Communications Coordinator Ohio Program of Intensive English 143 Gordy Hall Ohio University Athens, OH 45701 Kessler@ohio.edu

http://www.ohiou.edu/opie/people/Kessler.html