Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:18:37 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Digifant II problems in my 86 Syncro - HELP

For the last few weeks, I have been trying to get the Digifant II motor running in my 1986 Syncro Westfalia (inline four cylinder). It turns over and it will start, but it will never stay running and when it is running you have to floor it to keep it running and it will never go about 4500 RPM and if it goes below about 2000 RPM it will die. It is running very rich and the timing is set to TDC and has been tried to about -10 deg and +10 deg. Electrically it is 100% with every wire to and from the ECU verified four times over as well as the wires from each of the accessories attached to it and their functioning. With the key on the idle stabilizer valve hums away and when turning the key to the on position the fuel pump will kick in for 2 seconds and then stop - just as it is supposed to. The values for the water and air temp sensors are right within spec - the AFM gives a nice steady reading, switches to the throttle valve work. I have swapped every component in the system with other known to work items; ECU, AFM, Distributor. There are new spark plugs installed (Bosch W7DTC) new cap, new rotor, new wires. Everything checks out 100% - fuel pressure is OK with 44PSI with no vacuum - fuel delivery is OK too - after 10 minutes of the pump being off the pressure is between 30 and 32 PSI, which is well within spec. Today I even took out the fuel injectors and checked the spray pattern - it wasn't very good so I swapped the injectors with another Digifant II motor here and their spray pattern looked pretty good. Still not any better - swapping each part out gives us the same results - very hard to start and when it does start it will instantly die, if you floor it will run for about 5 seconds and it you are lucky you can get it running for up to 1 minute if you really play throttle. Currently there is about 50cm of down pipe attached to it and when it is running there are flames coming out of the tail pipe about 30cm now and then and the occasional popping noise. I have never had a Digifant II system behave like this - usually it is wire it up turn the key and it goes for me - a little fiddling with the timing to make it perfect and we are away.

I have tried running a big 6ga ground from the engine to the frame (already is one from the transmission) - double checked and cleaned all the grounds.

So to recap, all components have been changed with known to work components, all grounds are good, all electrical is OK, all sensors are within spec. It will run for now more than 2 seconds if you leave the throttle alone and up to a minute if you play with the throttle if you are lucky - below 2000 RPM it will instantly die. Compression is 170 160 160 165 PSI

Now on to some of the curiosities - if the timing is before TDC it will turn over really fast and sometimes start - if it after TDC the cranking speed is slower - if I unplug the distributor it is the same speed - when it is after TDC and spinning slowly the system voltage will drop to about 9 or 10V unless the battery is fully charged.

I am getting truly frustrated with this #&%&^& motor!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide suggestions!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models