Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:24:58 -0800
From:         Michael Ramer <elvisramer@COX.NET>
Subject:      NTM (new to me) 87 Wolfsburg

Well I'm back after a brief time away from the list. Sold the 87 Westfalia :( For me, the Westfalia was very cool, but at the time of sale I was unemployed and needed the $.

Personally, while I enjoyed camping out of the Westy I feel the bed is not roomy enough for two, and I hardly used the 'spacious' fridge and all the cabinet space. I'll will miss being able to keep warm and make coffee early in the morning though.

I found a clean So-Cal 1-owner 87 Wolfsburg for a reasonable price ($1300) and only 113k miles. The wolfy has a bad engine (head gaskets leaking) but I have a freshly rebuilt Waterboxer engine ready to go in! Some will say go TIICO or Subaru power, and while It sounds interesting, that is more than I am willing to invest in time and $ for a 15 year old van. The longblock Waterboxer cost me $1600 from an ex-Porsche mechanic selling the shop wares. Should be able to get the van going for $3500~3800 total.

A cooler and portable stove are all I need for camping trips!

The only other things wrong with the van are a small scuff behind the slider- easily repairable; the drivers door power window is not working; the auto trans is not shifting into 3rd gear- stuck valve body component? I'll try to flush it first before I remove the engine.

I am stoked about this Vanagon! It came with a bra, all the privacy curtains, jump seats, table, snow chains, and is loaded with all features including factory alloys and new Michelin MXT's! It's even the color I was looking for- Flash Silver Mettalic!

BTW, I'll soon have low mileage waterboxer core if anyone is interested- good for a rebuild/core. I'm in San Diego, CA area.

Later, Mikey 1987 Wolfsburg 1972 Westfalia