Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:15:11 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need fuel pump in Eureka, CA
Comments: To: jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM

There is nothing exotic about testing a fuel pump. Two jumper wires hooked to 12v, 12" of hose with a pressure gauge on it. If the pressure is low or drops off after one minute you can assume its bad. I'm pretty sure that a VW dealer can come to the right conclusion. Used fuel pump from me 45$ + 5$ UPS. saves you about $180.00 Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:28:22 -0600 John Rodgers <jhrodgers@MINDSPRING.COM> writes: > Andree, vans being the mechanical beasts that they are, I supposed > you could > have a failing pump but I would be very suspect about the pump being > the > problem. I think I would ask how they acertained it was the pump and > maybe > even ask for a demonstration of what was done to make the leap to > that > conclusion. Pumps are expensive. > > I feel this way about it becasue I had an 85 GL that I drove for > over 205,000 > miles and never once had a fuel pump problem. Water pump, yes! Power > steering > pump, yes! But never a fuel pump. > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > > Andree Hurley wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Anyone near Eureka, CA with a extra fuel pump? My power problem > has been > > diagnosed at the dealer as the fuel pump, butr there are none to > be found > > at the parts stores. > > > > My cell is 206-669-1622 - my cell phone isn't picking up email as > it > > should, and I'm borrowing the dealer's computer.... > > > > It's a 1985 GL Vanagon Westfalia - I think it is the non-CA as the > inline > > fuel filter is white and in front of the pump. > > >