Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:32:45 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Longevity of Conversion Engines
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

John - your engine is the exception of all exceptions- 200,000 miles -that's unbelievable! But I will try to believe you.

You are the exception-you must know this-I worked at a VW shop-air-cooled was the bread and butter. Air-cooled engines were being repaired day-in day-out. Without air-cooled to sell/repair the shop would have had closed.

We also had a lot of water cooled engines stored in boxes-rarely we had to fix them and sold the good used ones mostly to Vanagon conversionists. I am referring to the VW inline-four "rabbit" engine. Inline-four VW engines outlast the components that run them someone has said. .

Your engine is one of a kind- you will never have another one like it.

So enjoy this as long as you can-maybe there's room for you in the Guiness book. Read my post soon- for 2.5 years with my first bus getting over 80,000 miles, I thought all of those other air-cooled VW owners must all have done something wrong for thier engines to blow.

You need your 200,000 mile air-cooled engine.

What ever engine you have that works and you need is a flow you should go with.

Robert 1982 Westfalia

----- Original Message ----- Wrom: UWLSZLKBRN Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 8:26 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Longevity of Conversion Engines

>> cooled folks out there. If you love your van, enjoy it. But a >> watercooled >> engine will last longer and have more horsepower while giving out less >> emissions (that's why they stopped making Air Cooleds). It is just a >> fact.

Which is why my air cooled is hangin out around 200K miles, never been opened, original everything, and the water cooled are dealing with leaky heads, air in the coolant system, and 'what color anti freeze do I use this year?' :-)

There is no such thing as the "best" engine. I don't really care about the emissions, and the engine is very well designed so it just works. There are water cooled engines failing all over the place. The bone yards are full of em.

Too many blanket statements going around here. There is nothing wrong with an VW air cooled engine. There is nothing wrong with a water cooled engine. Some people take care of their machines, and others don't.

Horsepower is nice, but if you are talking about a water cooled 2.1l, HP is nothing to write home to mom about <g>

JohnGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com