Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:40:08 -0800
From:         "G. Jetson" <dkcomet@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: tiico installation video

>John Rodger wrote:

> While I am not in the market for a Tiico conversion in the near future I > would like to offer professional duplication of the video for list members > at cost.

Hi All, The infamous Tiico installation video is tremendously overrated. It's more of a "what not to do" than a "to do". After chasing every lead for about 3 months, I finally got a list member to send me a copy.

I watched it before my engine arrived & found that all it was good for was knowing what the engine would look like in the crate. I learned that buying a tall floor jack & renting an engine hoist would be better than rope & 2x4's as used in the video. While it let me see a few things that might be problems during the install, it really just alerted me to the fact that, while the written directions suck, if you follow them in order it won't be too difficult.

Bottom line is- I appreciate John (?) for making the video, but it would have been more useful if it had been edited down to eliminate the 60% of unrelated monologues. I realize it's all there is out there, but it really is pretty useless. Don't bother hunting for it & certainly don't pay some guy $10 to dupe it for you!

I would suggest to Peter B. or one of the professional shops who have done a few of the Tiico conversions to make a basic step-by-step video that expands on the poorly written instructions that come with the kit. Isn't there a guy in Santa Cruz or someplace that is rumored to be quite skilled after 3 or 4 conversions? Anyway, one of you shops or pro mechanics could produce & sell a video that people could buy for $20 or so. I know I would have bought one & it would have been money well spent. Peter really should be the one to produce it & then give it away with the kit. HA! ;o)

Good luck out there,

===== David Kelly 1990 Syncro Vanagolf 15" 1963 Comet Convertible 1976 CB550 Super Sport Seattle