Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:42:50 -0800
From:         lchase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      FREE Vanagon PARTS  List Members >>>> LONGish

Vanagon List Members,

Almost a year ago I purchased a 85 Westy and began prepping it for a long adventure. If I stay on track I will be taking off this July for a "Great Rediscover the Americas Drive About".

I'll head North when its warm (Alaska, Canada etc), South when its cold (Midwest, Florida, Mexico etc) and East & West when it feels right. The duration is intended to be as long as it's fun. Several months, a year ..... who knows. Will stay as long as I want in various places, then move on.

At each fork in the road I'll likely take the path less traveled (thank you Robert Frost). Tend to prefer the back country out of the way places.

It's about the journey ... not the destination.

Will keep the list updated at various intervals. After all ... between the Members and Vendors .... this is an Adventure and Vehicle the Vanagon List helped create.

Home Base will be Phoenix, Az .... where my Daughter lives ..... and by the way gets MARRIED this Thursday.

Now ... to the point!

After purchasing my Westy I stumbled upon this list and thought it might be a decent place to pick up a few ideas on upgrading, prepping and to some extent restoring my "beloved" Westy.

As you might guess ..... this List has become much, much more than that. The ideas, suggestions, experiences, encouragement and community provided here have been incredible.

Without a doubt the Intellectual Capital shared so freely has saved me many dollars and trial and error.

Thus ... I'd like to Give Back what I can.

Recently I made a small cash donation as a token of appreciation.

But I didn't feel this was adequate .......

So I'd like to donate .......... Vanagon & Westy spare parts ....... some quite valuable to List Members.

These are parts that came off my Westy, are perfectly fine ... or new parts I tried out but found something I liked better.

Some old, some new but everything works and is very usable.

From this point forward ...... the "Subject Line" in my email will say "Rediscover the Americas Drive About - Parts Giveaway"

Guidelines:

* Must be a Vanagon List Member * APO addresses (Military) will have Priority * First come First served (I'll record 1st, 2nd & 3rd requestors) * Requests will be accepted beginning this Friday 3/29 at 12:01AM PST * Requester pays actual shipping & handling (no markup) * Must pick up or arrange your own shipping on large pieces (Seats, Tires, Rims etc) * Other items will be added up till the time I leave (~July 1st) * Some parts not available till replacements arrive * NO RESALE ... Parts Vendors and Resellers not eligible. * I'll respond to each request with your status in the queue.

Note ..... I'll post a accurate List Tonight of Current Items Available (Description, Condition, Availability Date)

A few examples of available parts (all from a 85 Vanagon GL Westy)

* 2 beautiful, complete with head rests, tan/beige stock front captains chairs/seats. * 1 Original Chrome Front Bumper ... no end pieces or rubber bumper strips * 5 Stock 14" rims. As a group or individually. * Rear carpet mat (beige) almost brand new, for a Vanagon without the camper package. * Stock front upper grill ... two head light model without the light buckets. * Stock front lower grill .... complete * Drivers side stock dome lights .. no metal backing piece. * 4 LT 14" matched tires less than one year old. * 1 14" tire for use as a spare .... still has good tread but it is a passenger car tire (previous owner) * Complete Original "Keyed Alike" lock system (Ignition, 2 front doors, sliding door and rear hatch) * Misc. after market interior lights (Dome etc)

As you can see there are some significant items and there will be more.

Please spread the word to all Vanagon List Members.

Thank You All for your Help and Support,

Larry Chase 85GL Westy "RoadHouse" "The Great Rediscover the Americas Drive About" Campbell, California