Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:02:55 -0600
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Longevity of Conversion Engines

>>Still moving that air around by driving a fan and that uses horsepower >>just like the waterpump - right? > >No. All cars are cooled by air. In a water cooled it's the air moving >through the radiator. The water pump just moves the heat from one place >to another. The radiator also has a fan that uses horsepower, or >presents aerodynamic drag as moving air flows through it. The aircooled >doesn't move the heat from one place to another so doesn't use the >energy of the water pump.

Okay - I guess am missing the point here. I said an aircooled fan uses horsepower just like the water pump on a watercooled engine. Put both engines on a dyno and both engines makes a bit more power with the fan and water pump disconnected - both the fan and water pump being driven by the fan belt. The water cooled variety also relies on an electric fan to push air through the radiator when the vehicle is not moving fast enough to do it automatically.

And it appears you disagree. Limitations of e-mail I'm sure.

If you speak of energy doesn't the aircooled engine's fan push air across the motor removing heat from it and moving it out the bottom of the shrouds just like an old style domestic V-8 engine with a fan on the end of the water pump? Isn't this a question of cooling medium - water (which still requires air to cool the water) vs. air.

Wait - I'm confusing myself here.... Forgetting what the point is... <Grin!>

I'm not arguing to be right as much as I just want to understand the terminology a little better. Is it a communication problem - semantics - or is it a conceptual problem? Just want to understand this topic better.

Chris M. <Busbodger - "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion